MHG19871 - Farmstead, North Strathcoul
Post medieval farmsteading
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD to 1872 AD)
- None recorded
Farm, North Strathcoul. Longhouse farm built on three sides of a courtyard and associated with a horse engine, still in occupation.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
Two roofed buildings are depicted on the frst edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1876, sheet xvii) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1970).
Information from RCAHMS (FO) 8 March 1996
Farmstead comprised of three main buildings and a series of boundary and enclosure walls. Evidence exists for a considerable amount of modifications and alterations to the buildings through time; this is especially evident in the gable walls of the ruined longhouse, of which also displays the remains of machinery in the internal box alcoves. A planning application has been received to demolish the farmstead and redevelop the site for housing <1>.
It was subject to a basic photographic survey in 2008 in support of a planning application. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1120 5534 (99m by 99m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/94426 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.