MHG20107 - Boring Mill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- None recorded
NH80NE 67 8925 0992
Site of boring mill set up to bore water pipes from logs for export, especially to London. The mill was set up in 1771, and closed in 1774, due to elm pipes being produced more cheaply in England. The logs were floated to the Moray coast and shipped south. No structures remain. Some pipes appeared in WWII bomb craters in London with the initials PG (for Patrick Grant). A similar mill operated at Dell, Nethy Bridge from 1767-1772.
Dixon, G.A. 1976. 'Forestry in Strathspey in the 1760s.' in Scottish Forestry vol 30, part 1, 38-59 (with diagram of boring machine)
Smout, T.C. And Lambert, R.A. Rothiemurchus 1500-2000. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8924 0991 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104356 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.