MHG202 - Probable Cairn, Sgarbach
Site of a probable cairn.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
A probable cairn.
Surveyed at 1:2500 Visited by OS 22 July 1982.
A mound slightly hollowed in the centre. There are flat stones within it (info from Mr Robinson, Springwell House, Auckengill).
C E Batey 1982. <1>
A circular, grass-covered mound, 7.5m in diameter and 0.4m high.
Visited by OS 10 September 1965.
This site was visited in June 2009 and observed to be as described. <2>
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Batey, C E. 1984. Caithness Coastal Survey 1980-82: Dunnet Head to Ousdale. University of Durham, Department of Archaeology. 30/01/1984. Digital (scanned as PDF). CAN 084.
- <1> Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . No. 84.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C. 06/2009. Land to the NE of Seaview, Auckengill, Wick: Archaeological Watching Brief. Unaffiliated. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3730 6387 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9323 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.