MHG2023 - Sandstone Vessels - Auckhorn Farm
Sandstone vessels (2) Auckhorn Farm
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Bronze Age to Early Medieval - 2400 BC? to 1057 AD?)
- None recorded
Two sandstone vessels, one within other, were ploughed up on Aucorn farm (Auckhorn: ND 327 598) and donated to NMAS by A H Rhind in 1853 (Acc Nos: EK 14 & EK 15). The larger vessel, flat-bottomed and with a handle at each end, measures 15" x 9.5", while other is 8.5" x 6". The smaller vessel had a stone lid which was thrown away, as were its unexamined contents. They were possibly associated with a cremation burial.
Urns of this type, of steatite and sandstone, have only been found in extreme N of Scotland. They always contain burnt bones and are therefore cinerary in character. Similar urns of steatite of later Iron Age, or early Viking period, are common in Norway (NMAS 1892).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1855; J Anderson 1875; NMAS 1892.
No further information. Visited by OS (A A) 8 March 1972.
Described in the NMS catalogue as of steatite, circular and with ornamantal rims. Listed under Acc. Nos. EK 14 and EK 15. Display catalogue describes them of sandstone. <1>
Alison Sheridan dates these as BA urns, and notes their forms echo regional urn types from the Northern Isles. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1875. 'Notes on the relics of the Viking period of the Northmen in Scotland, illustrated by specimens in the museum', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 10 1872-4, p.536-94. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 536-94. 538-9.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NMAS. 1892. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 179-80; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1855. 'Donations and purchases to and for the Museum', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 1 1851-4, p.8-15,22-26,42-3,46-7,52-4,57,67-70,72-3,75-6,100-11,125-6, 137-9 etc.. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 8-15,22-26,42-3,46-7,52-4. 149.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. EK 14, EK 15.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Sheridan, A. 2007. ‘Dating the Scottish Bronze Age: “There is clearly much that the material can still tell us”,’ in Burgess, Christopher et al (eds), Beyond Stonehenge. Essays on the Bronze Age in honour of Colin Burgess. 162-185. Digital. pp. 171.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3269 5979 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- VESSEL (Early Bronze Age to Early Medieval - 2400 BC? to 1057 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9133 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.