MHG2046 - Lithic Working Site, Kinlochy Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- LITHIC WORKING SITE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Scatters of flint. OS 6" map, annotated by R Gourlay, 30 June 1982.
The flints from general area noted by Gourlay are in Wick Museum. They were collected by Mrs L Duff-Dunbar (now deceased) in 1931-2 and total 141 worked and unworked examples, including 11 cores, scrapers, blades and flakes; also in the collection are four flint pebbles, possibly sling-stones (Acc Nos: ARC 672-784). Some 33 of the flints are not certainly attributable to this area. Mrs Duff-Dunbar described the finds as a 'flint factory'.
Visited by OS (N K B) 14 January 1983.
This assemblage is now within the collection of Caithness Horizons. This comprised at least 20 flints, labelled as 'scrapers, blades and flakes from Kinlochy 1931'. <1> <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Duff-Dunbar, L. 1935. 'A fort at Skitten, Wick, Caithness, with notes on flint implements from the same county', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 69 1934-5, p.108-17. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 108-17.
- <1> Collection/Catalogue: Caithness Horizon. Various. Finds Collection at Caithness Horizons. CAIMS:ARC672, CAIMS:ARC676.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Kruse, S. 2019-20. Note from Susan Kruse, Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3340 4749 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
- ASSEMBLAGE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8967 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.