MHG20686 - Farmstead, Cottertown (Cotterton)
A farmstead depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A farmstead comprising one partially roofed building arranged around three sides of a courtyard and with an attached horse-gang and one roofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1874-6-80, sheet c). One roofed building and two enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1993).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 16 April 1996. <1>
Two Class I Pictish symbol stones have been discovered built into the walls of the farmhouse and a byre. See related records MHG54302 and MHG55050. <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
NGR adjusted based on 2018 aerial photographs. <4>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 15/07/2011.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2018. Getmapping aerial photography 2018. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6215 5216 (84m by 96m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/103833 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.