MHG21303 - Township - Upper Diabaig, Applecross
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A township comprising twelve roofed buildings, one unroofed building, two enclosures, three fields and some field walls is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet lxxxi). One roofed, one partially roofed, seven unroofed buildings, three enclosures, three fields and some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 24 April 1996
Three enclosures, formed by lengths of dyke joined to a main dyke which runs along the road at Upper Diabaig, were visited by C Dagg during a walkover survey in advance of a Woodland Grant Scheme project in 2000. The westernmost dyke was the most notable with a rubble outer face forming a retaining wall to a much higher ground level within the enclosure. Although eroded, the land within this enclosure showed some evidence of former rig cultivation. The other two enclosing dykes were of turf and stone construction. The footings of a building of two commpartments at the western end of the westernmost enclosure, as well as the substantial remains of buildings within the eastern enclosure were also noted. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8125 5999 (752m by 487m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/104997 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.