MHG2136 - Burial Cairn, Ackergill
Site of late Neolithic-Bronze Age excavated burial cairn. A series of lithics were recovered from the feature.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A cairn as described. Visited by OS (N K B) 3 September 1982.
Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1968)
The remains of this cairn measure overall 28 by 21m and 2m high. It is largely grass-covered, but many large stones protrude. The largest stone visible is a slab 2.1m long by 1.3m wide and 0.1m thick lying on the side of the mound. The top of the cairn has been hollowed by old excavations.
Visited by OS (R D L) 21 April 1963.
Cairn, Ackergill: The scanty remains of a large cairn show no features of interest or importance, so thoroughly has it been demolished.
A leaf-shaped spearhead, broken, an imperfect leaf-shaped arrowhead, a barbed arrowhead, and 23 cores, scrapers and chips of flint, all from this cairn, were presented by representatives of late Sir Francis Tress Barry to the NMAS in 1908.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1908.
This site was re-appraised along with the other cemetery sites in the area using Society of Antiquaries of Scotland manuscripts, and published sources, by Anna Ritchie. <1>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 191, No. 590.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1909. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 43 1908-9, p.8-23, 73-5, 145-6, 176-9, 268-71, 291-5. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 8-23, 73-5, 145-6, 176-9,. 19.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Ritchie, A.. 2011. Cemeteries of platform cairns and long cists around Sinclair's Bay, Caithness. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 141. 125-143. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3487 5437 (23m by 27m) (Buffered by site type)|
- CORE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- DEBITAGE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- BARBED AND TANGED ARROWHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- SPEARHEAD (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC?)
- LEAF ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archives/view/psas/contents.cfm?vol=141&CFID=1154374&CFTOKEN=E5FA8DEA-4A9E-4B3A-AE76AEBDA08AF645 (Link to source article online.)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9244 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.