MHG2162 - Tortoise (Oval) Brooches in cist, Longhills
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (CULTURE 800; CULTURE 1300; , Norse - 800 AD? to 1300 AD?)
- None recorded
Two tortoise or oval brooches were found in a cist, either short (Anderson 1875, PSAS 1876), or long (Grieg 1940), in top of a gravel mound, known as the Longhills, on farm of Westerseat (ND 355 520) in 1837 (NMAS 1892, Grieg 1940), 1840 (Anderson 1875), or 1841 (PSAS 1875). Other cists were found in removing gravel from the Longhills before 1875, but no relics were observed in them.
The brooches were displayed at Archaeological Exhibitions in Edinburgh in 1856, and Aberdeen in 1859, before being donated to NMAS by James Henderson of Bilbster in 1875 (Acc No: IL 217-8). J Anderson 1875; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1876; NMAS 1892; S Grieg 1940.
The farmer at Westerseat stated that area known as Longhills is centred at ND 357 513, but he has no knowledge of a gravel mound there or elsewhere on his land. No further info was obtained during investigation.
Visited by OS (E G C) 21 April 1962.
Longhills is a riverside, undulating field. There is no indication of the site on the ground.
Visited by OS (J B) 24 August 1982.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1875. 'Notes on the relics of the Viking period of the Northmen in Scotland, illustrated by specimens in the museum', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 10 1872-4, p.536-94. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 536-94. 551-2.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Grieg, S. 1940. Viking antiquities in Scotland. 24-5.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NMAS. 1892. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 278.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. IL 217-IL 218.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: 1875. 'Tortoise or Bowl-shaped Brooches.', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 10 1874, p.549-51. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 549-51. 549-51.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1876. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 11 1874-6, p.17-21,81-7,121-3,152-4,172-5,233-5,264-5,328-30,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 17-21,81-7,121-3,152-4,17. 152-3.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3569 5130 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BROOCH (Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9150 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.