MHG22201 - Kinlochleven Aluminium Works, Lower Penstock Valve House and House
The valve house, controlling the flow of water from the conduit running from the Blackwater Dam to the pipeline which connects it with the power house at Kinlochleven.
Type and Period (1)
- VALVE HOUSE (Built, 20th Century - 1905 AD to 1909 AD (between))
The site of the valve house, connecting and controlling water flow from the conduit (referred to by RCAHMS as an 'aqueduct') leading down from the Blackwater Dam, into the pipeline leading to the power house at Kinlochleven.
Part of the hydro-electric power system for the supply of power to Kinlochleven Aluminium works. <1>
Picture attached to Canmore record. <2>
This building was added to the statutory list in November 2011 having been reviewed as part of the Hydroelectric Power Thematic Study 2010. It is proposed to remove the building and associated features from the schedule of ancient monuments. <3>
- <1> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). Canmore ID 107297.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Scotland. 14/11/2011. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Twenty Ninth Amendment) 2011.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 2017 6047 (20m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||LISMORE AND APPIN|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB51834 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/107297 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.