MHG223 - Slipway, Brough Harbour
A slipway constructed by the Northern Lighthouse Board in 1830.
Type and Period (2)
- PIER (Built, 19th Century - 1830 AD to 1830 AD)
- SLIPWAY (Built, 19th Century - 1830 AD to 1830 AD)
- None recorded
Marked as slip on 1st ed OS <1>
Brough Slipway was constructed by the Northern Lighthouse Board in 1830. Its purpose was to serve as a landing place for stores for Dunnet Head Lighthouse. The slipway is 75 metres long and 5.8 metres wide. It is constructed from sandstone blocks with a rubble core. The blocks are tied together by steel bars.
The structure appears to be largely original but a section of the south wall was destroyed by a storm c1978. This was repaired using the original materials except for the top surface of the damaged area which was filled with concrete. In 2011 restoration work was carried out including injection pointing, placement of concrete below undermined sections and installation of additional tie bars.
Information submitted by David Glass for Brough Bay Association <2>
- --- SHG23870 Image/Photograph(s): Glass, D. Photographs of various HER sites submitted by David Glass. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <1> SHG23892 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1876-77. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-73). Digital.
- <3> SHG25594 Text/Record Form: Glass, D. 07/2011. Information from Brough Community Harbour Project. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2210 7401 (50m by 85m) (Surveyed)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8904 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.