MHG22587 - Grain Mill, sluice, mill pond, Milton
Grain Mill, sluice, mill pond at Milton
Type and Period (3)
- GRAIN MILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SLUICE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- MILL POND (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These mills, lades, ponds and sluices (1145 – 1157) - centred on NH303 554 (Grain mill, site 1157, - Nmrs No NH35NW 009) were recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project. These sites are situated on the east bank of the Allt Mor, a large burn that drops steeply down to the River Meig in a series of waterfalls. The area has forestry plantation in its upper part, and is overgrown with rhododendrons and thick undergrowth. There are several phases of water management represented by the courses of two lades and two mill ponds, with at least four sluices. Evidence of 4 mills has been found. The mill (site 1157), pond (site 1150) and lade (site 1149) are marked on the 1st edition OS map of c1870 and also on an estate map of c 1853 and a specification, dated 1851, for the construction of a mill replacing an existing one has been located in NAS - GD433-3-3-6. The mill/wheel pit (site 1152), pond (site 1150) and lade (site 1146) are marked on the current OS map as “sawmill”. An earlier mill is depicted on the 1825 estate plan in the position of the building, 1145.
1154 Mill Pond - NH 30385 55292 The lower of the 2 ponds and the older according to the maps. It is about 80m in diameter but difficult to assess as it is so heavily overgrown. It is retained by an earth bank in its southern half; this may have been constructed by enhancing a natural knoll.
1155 Sluice - NH 30377 55318 The remains of this iron and wooden sluice are very wasted.
1156 Sluice - NH 30381 55272 A wooden sluice at the south side of the mill pond. May have been a part of a modern reconstruction associated with the former grain mill, 1157, just a few metres to the south. The remains of a plywood chute are seen in the undergrowth between the two.
1157 Grain Mill (Figure 13) - NH 30371 55258 (Nmrs No NH35NW 009) A building in good state of repair on the north side of the present motor road. It has been renovated and is now used as a picnic place and display centre. It is on a NW-SE alignment and has a wheel pit 0.5m width x 4m length x 0.5m deep along its SE end, the entry point of the axle can be seen in the wall of the building as a blocked up square stone setting. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3038 5529 (55m by 83m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108663 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.