MHG22673 - Bivallate enclosure, Charlestown
An enclosure identified from aerial photographs.
Type and Period (2)
- DOUBLE DITCHED ENCLOSURE (Neolithic to Pictish - 4000 BC? to 900 AD?)
- OVAL ENCLOSURE (Neolithic to Pictish - 4000 BC? to 900 AD?)
- None recorded
NH64NW 80 642 485
NH 642 485 Cropmark of circular bivallate enclosure c 18m in diameter. Situated 25m NW of end of Bellfield Road, Charlestown. Circular cropmark c 10m diameter, located c 200m E of above feature.
J S Bone 1996 <1>
GR corrected to above. NB the enclosure lies on W side of field - there are a number of other cropmark features over broader areas of the field - check. <2>
Aerial photograph rectification was carried out prior to trial excavations that took place in 2008. The cropmark was relocated some way to the north and found to be oval on plan. Two trenches were positioned across the location of the feature and these contained a total of 25 negative features, including two shallow curvilinear features containing charcoal and burnt bone and a large sub-circular pit with evidence for burning. Other very truncated features were present to the north of the enclosure. None of the excavated features could be directly related to the identified cropmark, suggesting that the strength of the cropmark is an indicator of poor preservation due to plough truncation. The features are, however, presumed to be prehistoric in date, possibly Iron Age. <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Serial: Turner, R (ed). 1996. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1996. Paper (Original). p 56.
- <2> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 01/2005.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Murray, R. 07/2008. Bellfield, North Kessock, Ross-shire: Results of an Archaeological Evaluation. Headland Archaeology Ltd. 02/02/2009. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 64206 48561 (37m by 25m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/109207 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.