MHG53535 - Iron Age and later settlement, North Kessock
The possible extent of an Iron Age and later settlement, the southern extent of which has been identified through archaeological excavation.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Early Iron Age to Early Medieval - 550 BC to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
In the discussion section of a report on excavations conducted in 2008-9 it is suggested that the excavated features represent the southern extent of a settlement that probably extended onto the flatter ground to the north. <1>
The full extent of the settlement is not known, but is likely to include another circular cropmark some 100m north of the excavation area. Monitoring of topsoil stripping to the north east of the excavation area in 2010 did not identify any archaeological features, however the area had been heavily disturbed by road construction. <2> <3>
- <1> SHG24028 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Murray, R. 07/2008. Bellfield, North Kessock, Ross-shire: Results of an Archaeological Evaluation. Headland Archaeology Ltd. 02/02/2009. Digital.
- <2> SHG24741 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Murray, R. 04/2010. Results of a monitored topsoil strip at Bellfield Farm, North Kessock, Ross-shire. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital.
- <3> SHG23297 Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 642 486 (416m by 262m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Parent of: Bivallate enclosure, Charlestown (Monument) (MHG22673)
- Parent of: Iron Age midden deposit (Phase 4), Bellfield Farm, North Kessock (Monument) (MHG53533)
- Parent of: Iron Age or early medieval features (Phase 4), Bellfield Farm, North Kessock (Monument) (MHG53532)
- Parent of: Possible early medieval working area (Phase 5), Bellfield Farm, North Kessock (Monument) (MHG53534)
- Parent of: Ring ditch, Bellfield (Monument) (MHG29988)
- Parent of: Roundhouse (Phases 3 and 4), Bellfield Farm, North Kessock (Monument) (MHG35262)
Related Investigations/Events (3)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.