MHG23165 - Former Drill Hall - Custom House Street, Ullapool


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • DRILL HALL (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Thumbnail Photo of Customs House, Ullapool
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 02/04

The drill hall and the adjoining house for the instructor (see MHG47703) were built around 1887. The hall is rubble-built with ashlar detailing. The door and window openings are round-topped. The hall has sash-and-case windows. There is a louvred opening above the hall door. The hall has a curved-profile corrugated iron roof. There is a second door on the side elevation and lean-to at the rear. The interior is partly finished with tongue and groove boarding, to an arched roof with thin metal tie-beams.
In 1914 the hall was the drill station for "E" Squadron, 2nd Lovat's Scouts and base for "E" Company, 4th battalion Seaforth Highlanders. The hall was recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project 2013. <1> <2> <3>

See link below to HES Canmore record for photos of the building.

GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <4>

Sources/Archives (5)



Grid reference Centred NH 1287 9428 (15m by 25m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH19SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish LOCHBROOM

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.