MHG2360 - Standing Stone, Gindie Geos
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
The base of a standing stone which was broken about 1860 is a schist block 4 to 5ft in width and 9ins thick facing NE and SW. It has been excavated to a depth of about 2ft.
Surveyed at 1:2500.
RCAHMS 1911; C E Batey 1982; Visited by OS 10 September 1965 and 22 July 1982. <1><2>
During a nearby watching brief in June 2009 it was observed that a fairly recent trench had been dug to reveal the remaining section of this stone, broken off at ground level. <3>
- --- Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . No. 85.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 18, No. 46.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C. 06/2009. Land to the NE of Seaview, Auckengill, Wick: Archaeological Watching Brief. Unaffiliated. Digital. p 3.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3730 6385 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/2 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.