MHG23711 - Jamestown, Free Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
ARCHITECTS: Ross & Joass (I.A. 9 Feb 1861)
Depicted on 1st edition Ordnance Survey, with small building to NE. Marked as Free Church. Unchanged on 2nd edition, marked U.F. Church. <1> <2>
A desk-based assessment of the building was carried out by Highland Archaeology Services in 2010. This concluded that the church stands on on the site of an earlier church building, probably dating to the same time as the adjacent former manse (c.1844) and was built in 1861. <3>
The church survives in unroofed condition. Photographs were taken during a site visit in 2010 by K Bennett of Highland Council. <4>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J.. 2010. Free Church: Jamestown, Strathpeffer Ross-shire: Desk Based Assessment. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Bennett, K. 09/2010. Photographs of Free Church, Jamestown. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4777 5659 (28m by 24m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/111530 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.