MHG23812 - Munlochy Mill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- GRAIN MILL (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Graham Douglas notes that the mill machinery was installed in the early 1940s by James Reid of Dingwall. It has been out of use as a meal mill since the 1960s. The grain bruiser was in use at the time of survey and was powered by an electric motor. Munlochy Mill is depicted and named on the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (Ross-shire, 1873, sheet lxxxix).
Information from Graham J Douglas, Scottish Industrial Archaeology Survey, Strathclyde University, 1986.
See NMRS MS/744/141 and DC 33181-5 for building and machinery details.
Black Isle Local Plan, Sept. 1985: P40/5.12. Munlochy - Commercial Area. POLICY - The Council will encourage restoration proposals for the Old Mill.
J Aitken : 05/06/01.
"Corn Mill" rectangular building with small extensions to N & S. Lies S of large mill pond , marked "Mill dam" with "sluice" on SE corner. 1st ed OS - HAW 10/2002
GIS spatial data amended in 2019 according to building as depicted on modern OS mapping. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6472 5320 (23m by 21m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/112254 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.