MHG52526 - Site of mill pond - Munlochy


The site of a large mill pond depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1875.

Type and Period (2)

  • MILL POND (Constructed, 19th Century - 1875 AD to 1875 AD)
  • SLUICE (Constructed, 19th Century - 1875 AD to 1875 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A large mill pond (mill dam) with a sluice at the SE corner is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1875. It lies to the north of a corn mill, which is still extant but now disused (see MHG23812). <1>

A watching brief wa carried out by Highland Archaeology Services in 2008 on the site of the mill pond during construction of a car park. Excavations extended to a maximum depth of 1.2m and the deposits encountered consisted entirely of modern made-up material. There were no remains relating to the mill pond itself. It is likely that the excavations were completely contained within the backfill of the former pond. <2>

The site was researched during the ARCH Knockbain Heritage project. The mill pond was a much-loved feature in the village, known locally as the dam. Swans used to swim in it. Cars were known to have skidded into it coming down from the station on icy days. It was drained - possibly 1970s. It is now a car park. <3>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NH 64747 53252 (65m by 79m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH65SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish KNOCKBAIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (2)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.