MHG2391 - Broch, Bridge of Occumster
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1977)
A conical, grassy mound, 12ft in maximum height and 80ft in overall diameter, containing the remains of a broch, no part of which is visible.
The poorly-defined remains of a broch have been excavated to reveal an entrance, 0.9m wide, in the W side, but are otherwise as described by the RCAHMS.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (A A) 5 May 1967.
A conical, grass-covered mound with traces of walling and entrance visible. A large trench has been excavated since 1967 and is now partially backfilled, but nothing is known of it. There is also a large area of modern dumping adjacent to the entrance, possibly from nearby croft renovations.
C Batey 1982.
ND23 8 OCCUMSTER ND/2693 3565
Possible broch in Latheron, Caithness, consisting of a conical grassy mound 3.6m (12ft) in height and 24m (80ft) in overall diameter. No fragment of masonry was visible in 1910  but by 1967 a large trench had been dug into the mound, revealing an entrance passage 90cm wide on the west side [2, 3]; no architectural details of this are given.
Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 23 NE 2: 2. RCAHMS 1911b, 53, no. 198: 3. Batey (ms) 1982, no. 232. <1>
- --- Text/Report: Batey, C E. 1982. Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2. . No. 232.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 53, No. 198.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. ND23 8 OCCUMSTER.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2692 3565 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM570 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8587 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.