MHG24131 - Wreck of "Strome Castle" ferry, Strome (former location)


The former location of the wreck of the "Strome Castle", the smaller of the last two ferries to operate between Strome and Stromeferry.

Type and Period (3)

  • (Former Type) WRECK (In use, 20th Century - 1958 AD to 1970 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (20th Century - 1958 AD to 1958 AD)
  • Boat (Unknown date)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NG83NE 8000 8633 3534
N 57 21.51 W 5 33.1667

Formerly NG83NE 8445

Quality of fix = EDM
Horizontal Datum = OGB

Surveying Details
8 January 1987. A wooden hulled boat, 9 metres long (29.5 feet) and 3 metres beam (9 feet), is stranded on the west side of the north Strome slipway, at 57 21 33N, 005 33 12W. NGR - eastings 186300.7, northings 835399.3.

Hydrographic Office, 1995.

This is the wreck of one of the ferries which formerly ran between North and South Strome (Stromeferry). <1>

The "Strome Castle" was built by Nobles of Fraserburgh in 1958 and is 9m long x 3m wide. She was the smaller of the last two ferries to operate between Strome and Stromeferry, ceasing in 1970 when the road by-pass was opened. A local researcher, Paul Swan, has submitted photographs and advises that the wreck is no longer in this location (see MHG51353). <2><3>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference NG 8632 3534 (point)
Map sheet NG83NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY

Finds (1)

  • BOAT (20th Century - 1958 AD to 1958 AD)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.