MHG24131 - Wreck of "Strome Castle" ferry, Strome (former location)
The former location of the wreck of the "Strome Castle", the smaller of the last two ferries to operate between Strome and Stromeferry.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) WRECK (In use, 20th Century - 1958 AD to 1970 AD)
- FINDSPOT (20th Century - 1958 AD to 1958 AD)
- None recorded
NG83NE 8000 8633 3534
N 57 21.51 W 5 33.1667
Formerly NG83NE 8445
Quality of fix = EDM
Horizontal Datum = OGB
8 January 1987. A wooden hulled boat, 9 metres long (29.5 feet) and 3 metres beam (9 feet), is stranded on the west side of the north Strome slipway, at 57 21 33N, 005 33 12W. NGR - eastings 186300.7, northings 835399.3.
Report by HMS ENDURANCE.
Hydrographic Office, 1995.
This is the wreck of one of the ferries which formerly ran between North and South Strome (Stromeferry). <1>
The "Strome Castle" was built by Nobles of Fraserburgh in 1958 and is 9m long x 3m wide. She was the smaller of the last two ferries to operate between Strome and Stromeferry, ceasing in 1970 when the road by-pass was opened. A local researcher, Paul Swan, has submitted photographs and advises that the wreck is no longer in this location (see MHG51353). <2><3>
<1> Hooper, J, Comment by Janet Hooper, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23725.
<2> Swan, P, 2008-9, Correspondence from Paul Swan regarding several sites in the Lochcarron area (Text/Correspondence). SHG23871.
<3> Swan, P, 2008, "Strome Castle" ferry - Drochaid Isaaic (Text/Manuscript). SHG23394.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Hooper, J. Comment by Janet Hooper, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Swan, P. 2008-9. Correspondence from Paul Swan regarding several sites in the Lochcarron area. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Text/Manuscript: Swan, P. 2008. "Strome Castle" ferry - Drochaid Isaaic. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||NG 8632 3534 (point)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- BOAT (20th Century - 1958 AD to 1958 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/101936 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.