MHG24236 - Building/possible enclosure, Allt Bail' an Uillt Shios
Building/possible enclosure, Allt Bail' an Uillt Shios
Type and Period (2)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NH35NE 10 3550 5526
An enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet lxxxvi) and on the current edition of the 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 5 March 1996.
West of the burn, Allt Bail an Uillt Shios
733 Building/Possible Enclosure - NH 35498 55255 (Nmrs No – NH35NE 0010) The remains of this substantial structure are situated 200m to the south of the main settlement at Balnault on a steep E facing slope. The structure is trapezoidal in shape, measures 9m x 9(11)m overall and is in two parts. The main/west part, which measures 6.5m x 4m internally, is surrounded by the remains of a substantial stone and turf wall, generally 0.5-0.6m in height (externally) although the south wall is 0.9m. The internal area appears dished and the walls here are only 0.2m high. The east compartment is at a lower level and there is a short steep (0.3m high) intervening slope which has no stone composition. The east compartment is more of a level platform, 7.5m x 3m, built up with a stone and turf retaining wall at its east side. The north and south walls are mostly of rough stone construction and there is a possible entrance in the north wall 0.5m in
OS mastermap <2>
- <1> SHG24904 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Three Loch Meig to Dalbreac: February 2008 to June 2008, August 2009 to October 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.48 Site 733.
- <2> SHG23361 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3549 5526 (9m by 11m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/103111 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.