MHG2425 - Broch, Tulloch Turnal

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Tulloch Turnal (NAT) Broch (NR)
OS 6"map, (1964)

Broch, 'Tulloch Turnal': About 2 miles W of Langwell House, on the S side of the road to Wag, are the ruins of a large circular construction, probably a broch. It is much dilapidated and the stones of which it was built have been mostly removed. The over all diameter is some 48 to 50ft; only the two lowest courses of large stones are visible in places and no features of interest are apparent.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.

As described above: the mutilated remains of a broch. The outer facing wall, 15.5m in diameter, is still traceable, but inner is not.
There are indications of a ditch on the E side between the road and the embankment, but not on the W side. Adjacent to the broch are the footings of a depopulated settlement.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 15 June 1960

No change. Visited by OS (JB) 2 September 1982


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 53, No. 200 (Text/Report). SHG2664.

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 0903 2286 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND02SE
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.