MHG24262 - Building/possible farmstead, improved ground, Carnan Na Gaoithe
Building/possible farmstead, improved ground at Carnan Na Gaoithe
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NH25NE 3 2897 5811
One unroofed building with an outshot is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, lxxxv). A large unroofed structure of four compartments, which may be the building, is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 1 March 1996.
Carnan na Gaoithe
These sites, recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project, are located 3kms NNW of Milton, at a point where the valley of the Allt Feith a’Bhadain becomes steeper and where there is a meeting of two burns with a track following each. The main route or track which has been in use for centuries and is mentioned in several travellers accounts, heads northwest towards Strath Braan and Badinluchie; an inn was recorded in the late 18th Century here. The sites comprise a building with a small enclosure attached and 6 shieling mounds on the flatter lands to the SW in the angle between the two burns.
Building/Possible farmstead, improved ground/possible lazy beds (1177, 1178) - centred on NH 2897 5810 (Nmrs No. NH25NE 0003) An area of improved ground or possibly lazy beds are to the SW of the farmstead. The main track passes to the west side of the building and not the east as marked on the current OS map.
1177 Building/Possible farmstead - NH 28969 58105 The remains of a rectangular building are on a NNW-
SSE alignment and comprise a main compartment with a possible division and an outshot of 2 compartments to
the east. The main compartment measures 15m x 4m internally. There is a conjoined enclosure to the south with a possible entrance into it from the main building; also a further entrance into the outshot to the east. The south compartment of the outshot is 9m x 3m and the north 3m x 3m. The dry stone walls appear to have been double faced but are much tumbled, with a height generally of 0.5m and a spread of 1.7m on the west side and 2m to east, however they remain to a height of 1m in the N part of the main compartment; they may have been rebuilt here. A small enclosure is contigous with and in line with the main building. It measures 11m x 9m and is surrounded by a low curving turf and stone bank. It may have an entrance in the SE corner.
1178 Improved ground/Probable lazy beds - centred on NH 29115 58601 There is an area of improved ground with lazy beds, measuring 31m x 18m on the west side of the track to the SW of the building. It has at least 5 drainage channels traversing it and has been truncated at its east/lower side by the track. There are 4 clearance cairns associated. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Three Loch Meig to Dalbreac: February 2008 to June 2008, August 2009 to October 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.43,44 Sites 1177/8.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2008. Getmapping aerial photography 2008. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2896 5811 (21m by 25m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/103086 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.