MHG24412 - Township, Upper Rogie
The site of Upper Rogie dispersed township consisting of five discrete settlement units.
Type and Period (2)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- HEAD DYKE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH46SW 3 centred on 439 600
A township comprising three roofed, one partially roofed and thirteen unroofed buildings, eight enclosures and two short lengths of head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet lxxv). Ten unroofed buildings and four enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1989).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 28 February 1996
In an area of perhaps half a square kilometre and centred on a rounded hill to the north of the railway line there are the remains of a large enclosure and 5 discrete settlements. Their composition is variable, some have just 1 building and 1 enclosure, others have several buildings with up to 2 enclosures. The central focus is the hill, around which there are the remains of a discontinuous stone and turf wall, several clearance cairns lie within the enclosure particularly in the NW part. The settlements are contiguous with the enclosure wall at varying intervals. The whole area has been grossly disturbed by forestry, having been planted with trees, felled, ploughed and replanted again. In addition the drainage has been substantially disturbed by forest roads and tracks - many areas, which would in the past have been well drained, are now marshy. The surrounding wall and a few associated features are described first followed by each settlement the structures of which have then been grouped together.
The township is shown on the 1st edition OS map as 1 partially roofed building, 14 unroofed buildings, 6 enclosures and a head dyke.
The head dyke was noted during survey work in 2008-9 as a discontinuous wall. This appears to define an enclosure some 400m by 200m in size, mostly now planted with young trees but with some open grassy areas in the north part (previously ploughed). The SW corner of the enclosure was located by GPS at NH 43746 59852. In the SW and west the wasted dry stone wall is clearly defined and 0.5m in height. To the north it is ploughed out and barely discernable. The east part and south part appears to have been destroyed by the forest roads.
A small pen was noted to be situated in the angle of this wall a few metres to the west of the north-west settlement (MHG14114). The small pen is aligned north-south and measures 3m by 1m. The walls are of single stone thickness and are 0.6-0.7m high. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4400 5990 (939m by 553m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Parent of: Enclosure, Upper Rogie (Monument) (MHG53473)
- Parent of: House and enclosure, Rogie (Monument) (MHG53471)
- Parent of: Middle north settlement, Upper Rogie (Monument) (MHG14113)
- Parent of: North-east settlement, Upper Rogie (Monument) (MHG14115)
- Parent of: North-west settlement, Upper Rogie (Monument) (MHG14114)
- Parent of: Wall, Upper Rogie (Monument) (MHG53472)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/103155 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.