MHG14113 - Middle north settlement, Upper Rogie
Farmstead/settlement area comprising four buildings, a corn drying kiln and an enclosure.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) SETTLEMENT (Undated)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Information received from the Forestry Commission (date unknown) described the site as consisting of a kiln, longhouse and two other ruins.. Agreed management consisted of clearance of windblow and standing conifers to 10 metres from the perimeter and the avoidance of the area by extraction machinery. <1>
The same area has subsequently been surveyed by NOSAS and found to comprise four buildings, one kiln barn and one enclosure. The drainage of the settlement has been affected by the construction of the road and is now very marshy. See individual HER records for details. <2><3>
- <1> Text/Record Form: Easter Ross Forest District. Unknown. Record of Scheduled or Other Ancient Monuments. Digital (scanned as PDF). Rogie Croft 1.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. The Report of a Project to Identify, Survey and Record Archaeological Remains at Rogie, Ross-shire: February 2008 - May 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 06/04/2010.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4399 6011 (160m by 160m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (7)
- Parent of: Building, middle north settlement, Upper Rogie (Monument) (MHG53453)
- Parent of: Building, middle north settlement, Upper Rogie (Monument) (MHG53457)
- Parent of: Enclosure, middle north settlement, Upper Rogie (Monument) (MHG53452)
- Parent of: Kiln barn, middle north settlement, Upper Rogie (Monument) (MHG53456)
- Parent of: Longhouse, middle north settlement, Upper Rogie (Monument) (MHG53454)
- Parent of: Possible building footings, middle north settlement, Upper Rogie (Monument) (MHG53455)
- Part of: Township, Upper Rogie (Monument) (MHG24412)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.