MHG25364 - Dunlichity Parish Church, Burial Ground
The burial ground surrounding Dunlichity Church, dating to the 19th and 20th centuries.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
(NH 6595 3297) Dunlichity Church was built in 1759 to replace an earlier structure of which some walls remain. It was repaired in 1826 and much recast. The graveyard contains many interesting monuments including the walled enclosure of the MacGillivrays, and a simple gabled watch-house at the churchyard gate.
G Hay 1957; NSA (Rev James Macphail) 1845; SDD 1964. <1>-<3>
The old part of the church was built in 1569.
Information from Major C J Shaw to OS 5 Feburary 1962.
In the churchyard is a yellow sandstone gravestone with 38 cup-marks, and broken into two parts.
W Jolly 1882. See MHG44693. <4>
The church is harled and in use. The burial enclosures at the E and W ends, possibly contain parts of an earlier fabric. There is no trace of the broken cup-marked gravestone, and there was no local information regarding it.
Visited by OS (A A) 21 April 1970.
A survey of graveyard monuments in Dunlichity churchyard was carried out by S Farrell.
An evaluation survey was undertaken of the cemeteries and burial grounds in the Inverness and Nairn areas, including the archaeological, historical and environmental standing of the sites and the monuments contained therein. A note was made of the date, variety, condition and management of those monuments.
The study of the environmental factors involved in the survey was developed in conjunction with the Scottish Wildlife Trust.
Dunlichity Church (Daviot & Dunlichity parish)
NH 6595 3297 298 memorials recorded..
Reports lodged with Highland SMR and the NMRS.
Sponsors: CBA Challenge Funding, Highland Council, Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Inverness Area Countryside Project, Leader II.
S Farrell 1997 <5><6>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Inverness, 522.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Hay, G. 1957. The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843. 239.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: SDD. 1960-. List of Buildings of Architectural or Historical Interest, (Lists held in Architectural Department of RCAHMS). 1964, 10.
- <4> Text/Publication/Article: Jolly, W. 1882. On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 16. 300-401. 372-3; fig. 78.
- <5> Text/Publication/Article: Farrell, S. 1997. 'Inverness and Nairn Graveyard Survey (Ardclach; Croy & Dalcross; Daviot & Dunlichity; Moy & Dalarossie; Nairn; Urquhart & Glenmoriston parishes), survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.43. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 43. 43.
- <6> Text/Report: Farrell, S. 03/1997. Inverness and Nairn Graveyard Survey. A Summary.. Unaffiliated. . Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6597 3296 (68m by 47m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1704 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.