MHG25707 - Post-medieval lime kiln - Tighnabruich, Kiltarlity and Convinth
The site of a post-medieval building and lime kiln near Tighnabruich, Kiltarlity and Convinth.
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH53NW 53 5004 3695
A two compartment unroofed building with a rounded S end is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1875, sheet xviii), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1975).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 17 May 1996. <1>
This building is clearly marked 'Old Limekiln' (presumably located in the rounded south end) on both the 1st and 2nd Edition maps. <2> <3>
A walkover survey along the route of a proposed new water main as part of the Beauly West Water Mains Renewal Project was carried out by S Farrell in 2004. The proposed route ran near to a number of known sites. The site of the unroofed building was investigated but no sign of it was seen, the area being covered in bracken and gorse. It was noted that the given grid reference was incorrect, placing it originally on the north side of a small burn which crossed the area. In addition the remains of a further building closer to the forest were found. This had not been noted in the HCHER or RCHAMS surveys before but is clearly shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition maps. <4>
- <1> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). ID 114192.
- <2> SHG23389 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <3> SHG23940 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1900-5. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Inverness. Digital.
- <4> SHG22197 Text/Report: Farrell S. 2004. Report of Archaeological Desktop & Walkover Survey Beauly West Water Mains Renewal Project. Unaffiliated. . .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5003 3693 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/114192 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.