MHG2613 - Roman stone, St Benedict's Abbey


A fragment of carved stone, probably originally from Cramond, and previously in a wall at Hailes House, Colinton, is now in a wall at Fort Augustus Abbey.

Type and Period (1)

  • CARVED STONE (CULTURE 79; CULTURE ROMAN; , Roman - 79 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

The remains of a stone slab, now 21 inches long and and 19 1/4 inches high, bearing in relief the three-fold group of mother goddesses was identified by Dr. Curle in 1917 at Hailes House, Colinton, Midlothian (NT26NW 7). Its details indicate that it must have been set up by
Roman auxiliary troops in the 1st or 2nd century, A.D. Beyond its mention in 1873 (W Lockhart 1883) nothing is known of it. In the absence of Roman remains at Colinton the inference is that it came originally from Cramond. Roman sculptured relief, Fort Augustus Monastery (from Hailes House, Midlothian)
G MacDonald 1918. <1><2>

This Roman sculptured slab is placed above the lintel of a door in the main entrance of St.Benedict's Abbey, Fort Augustus.
Visited by OS (N K B) 28 April 1964

The Roman stone sculptured slab, is set into the wall in high ceilinged entrance passage of monastery over the door to a small meeting room. It was moved from Hailes House, Colinton, in 1925. A photo showing it in situ is attached. <3>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NH 3813 0913 (6m by 6m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH30NE
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.