MHG26710 - Landing Point and Store house - Phopachy

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • LANDING POINT (Undated)
  • STOREHOUSE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH 64/74 OS 608461 No. 103 Phopachy.
Outwith the arable field and buried under grass are the concrete foundations of a store-house. Adjacent and towards the east there are dislodged blocks of brick walling and footings of another building. At the west side an inlet has been dug, but the entrance is now blocked with beach shingle. Bones and probably guano were landed here during high tides. This haven may have become redun¬dant when John Cran, Kirkton Farm, built his manure factory at Bunchrew Railway Station in 1870. <1>

Stone rubble remains os a landing place and 18th/19th century storehouse. Recorded as part of CFA/MORA Coastal assessment 1998. <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6080 4599 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH64NW
Civil Parish KIRKHILL
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.