MHG27230 - Building, Camas Liathach
Building, Camas Liathach
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NG80NE 12 8728 0588
A single unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet lxxviii) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 1 August 1996.
This name represents about 0.5km of coastline and the hinterland above. There was much activity here at one time and a possible settlement. There is a large area of lazy beds on the lower slopes and an assortment of structures and features close to the shore. Most of the remains are rather ruinous and may have suffered extensive stone robbing for road, path or wall construction. There is also the possibility that when Old Barrisdale House was sacked in 1746 after Culloden, that other buildings and facilities within easy reach were also wrecked. These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2004 as part of an archaeological survey of Inner Loch Hourn.
Site: 406. The footings of a building, possibly a dwelling house, 6.9m E/W by 3.2m within double faced walls 0.8m thick and up to 0.4m high. Possible entrance in the S wall about 1.9m from SW corner. There is a trench about 1m wide and 0.2m deep along its S and W walls. Maybe associated also with the nearby church building. 'Pond' to the N. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 APs <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J.. 2004. A Report on the Archaeological Survey of Inner Loch Hourn and Barrisdale Bay by Members of NOSAS. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p18 Site 406.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2012. Getmapping aerial photography 2012. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8728 0588 (11m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/117930 (View Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.