MHG28007 - Military Hospital, Loans of Tullich
Brick built building that functioned as the main hospital block. Associated with the Second World War military camp at Loans of Tullich, part of the Fearn Airfield complex.
Type and Period (1)
- MILITARY HOSPITAL (Built, Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD (between))
- None recorded
Situated near the S perimeter fence is the brick built hospital block. The building is notable for having the water tank set on a small tower at the southern end and retaining many of the internal divisions. Despite having been used as an animal byre, the seating for wounded servicemen and the overhead shower facilties are still in situ along with a painted 'red-cross' set high on the wall at the northern end. It is likely that this building may also have been used in connection with the gas decontamination centre (NH87NE 34.03) for showering down wounded airmen.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE) May 1997
<1> lists the hospital building as being located within the three interlinked structures centred c.285733 877044 (MHG47681). This is an error. MHG47681 is the mess hall and this building is certainly the main hospital facility; the seating for wounded servicemen survives as does the painted Red Cross on a northern wall (see linked photographs for images of both features) <2>.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8572 7695 (22m by 30m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/121507 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.