MHG28205 - Roundhouses - Cnoc a' Leacachan
The remains of three roundhouses and associated clearance cairns were found during a watching brief in 1996 on works for a new access road and contractors' compound for the new Novar Windfarm.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
The remains of three roundhouses and associated clearance cairns were found during a watching brief carried out by J Wordsworth in 1996 on works for a new access road and contractors' compound for the new Novar Windfarm. The best-preserved hut circle was oval, 11 x 8m internally with a probable entrance to the southeast. One roundhouse, 10m in internal diameter, was partially exposed during the construction work and it had already been damaged by the existing road. The exposed section was drawn and a radiocarbon sample (2400?60 BP) taken from a possible wattle fence lining the inner face of a ?turf bank 2m wide. The interior of the house was not excavated and was sealed by terram matting before the road metalling was laid. One worked quartz flake was found outside the structure. About half of the building remains undisturbed. <1> <2>
This group of hut circles was visited by Ross and Cromarty Archaeological Services in 2013 during a walkover survey in advance of a proposed woodland creation scheme on the Novar Estate. Only one of the hut circles was found and it was recorded in as much detail as the dense vegetation allowed. An amorphous area contiguous to the east side of the road may have bene the hut circle partly excavated in 1996. In addition short lengths of stone and turf dykes and several clearance cairns were identified on the east side of the access road (see MHG56489, MHG56490). <3>
- <1> SHG21696 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J.. 1997. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Novar Wind Farm. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 26/04/2002. Paper and Digital.
- <2> SHG1302 Text/Publication/Article: Wordsworth, J. 1997. 'Novar Windfarm (Rosskeen parish), Bronze Age, modern settlement', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.51. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 51. 51.
- <3> SHG25865 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Fraser, L.. 2013. Novar Woodland Creation: Archaeological Desk-based Assessment and Walkover Survey. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. p.9.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5756 7258 (24m by 72m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (2)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/123544 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/348138/novar-woodland-evanton (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.