MHG28253 - Burnt Mound, south east of Little Rogart
A possible burnt mound identified during a field survey.
Type and Period (2)
- BURNT MOUND? (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC? to 560 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) CLEARANCE CAIRN? (Unknown date)
- None recorded
This circular burnt mound, which is situated on the edge of a boggy area to the SE of Little Rogart, comprises a low, dimpled mound about 6m in diameter and 0.3m in height.
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 6 July 1995 <1>
It is noted in the report from a rapid walkover survey, conducted in 2011, that the above interpretation seems uncertain and that the feature may be a field clearance heap. <2>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 124415.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J. 02/2011. Rogart Park: Archaeological Walk-over Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital. R3.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Wood, J. 02/2011. Rogart Park: Archaeological Walk-over Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital. R3.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7341 0316 (6m by 4m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/124415 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.