MHG28247 - Archaeological landscape, Little Rogart
A RCAHMS survey of the Rogart area identified sites from the Bronze Age through to the 19th century on the low lying land to the east of the Garbh-Allt.
Type and Period (1)
- ARCHAEOLOGICAL LANDSCAPE (Early Bronze Age to 19th Century - 2400 BC to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
On a low ridge of pasture surrounded by bog on two sides there is a township, a nineteenth century farmstead and field, five hut-circles, a burnt mound, and a field-system.
(ROG95 830, 849-883)
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 6 July 1995 <1>
Samples were taken by Richard Tipping from a location close to Reidchameil in 1995 for pollen analysis. The results were published in the Journal for Archaeological Science in 2008. The detailed pollen analyses describe the vegetation and land-use histories around the site (notionally a radius of 1km) between 4500 and 2000 cal BP (c. 2550 to 50 BC). The analysis showed that partial woodland loss for farming occurred at Reichalmai from c.4300 Cal BP (c. 2350 BC). The reconstruction suggests a patchy or mosaic structure to the landscape, with discrete patches of woodland, fields and lowland peat. There is evidence for managed woodland. Land uses appear to have intensified from c.2930 cal BP (c. 980 BC) until around 2200 cal BP (c. 250 BC) with a more sustained commitment to agriculture and decline in woodland. <2>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Tipping, R et al. 2008. Response to late Bronze Age climate change of farming communities in north east Scotland. Journal of Archaeological Science. 2379-2386. Digital.
|Grid reference||NC 7323 0340 (point) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Parent of: Burnt Mound, Little Rogart (Monument) (MHG28252)
- Parent of: Burnt Mound, south east of Little Rogart (Monument) (MHG28253)
- Parent of: Farmstead, Little Rogart (Monument) (MHG28249)
- Parent of: Group of four hut circles, Little Rogart (Monument) (MHG28251)
- Parent of: Hut circle, Little Rogart (Monument) (MHG28250)
- Parent of: Township, Little Rogart (Monument) (MHG28248)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/124399 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.