MHG28256 - Possible firing range features, Little Rogart
A structure depicted on 1st edition Ordnance Survey mapping and a possible "dam" may both be associated with the Volunteers' Rifle Range.
Type and Period (5)
- (Alternate Type) DAM? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) CLEARANCE CAIRN? (Unknown date)
- (Alternate Type) NATURAL FEATURE? (Undated)
- FIRING RANGE (In use, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD? (between))
- STRUCTURE (Constructed, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1900 AD? (between))
- None recorded
The stone foundations of the two ends of what may be a dam are visible on either side of an unnamed burn that runs down the E of Little Rogart. No trace of a mill-structure could be found on the date of visit. One unroofed structure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet civ) which may be a mill or a structure belonging to the Volunteers' Rifle Range.
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 6 July 1995 <1>
The report for a rapid walkover survey conducted in 2011 notes that the "two ends of what may be a dam" seem more likely to be either natural features or field clearance heaps. The report also suggests that the structure was most likely a target for the rifle range mentioned in <1>. <2>
On an assessment of the available information it is suggested that both the features described above are likely to be associated with the rifle range. The orientation of the line that is depicted in the RCAHMS survey data as a water feature (presumably the line of the dam mentioned above although not shown crossing the burn) corresponds well with the orientation of similar features shown as part of the rifle range further north. The structure mentioned in <1> is almost certainly associated with the firing range, being depicted on the 25 inch 1st edition Ordnance Survey map close to the annotation "800 yds". <3><4>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 124419.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J. 02/2011. Rogart Park: Archaeological Walk-over Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital. R5.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Wood, J. 02/2011. Rogart Park: Archaeological Walk-over Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital. R5.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-4. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Sutherland (surveyed 1868-73).
- <4> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7343 0333 (13m by 12m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/124419 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.