MHG28364 - Bayfield Mains


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH87SW 44.00 8120 7348 Bayfield Mains Farmsteading
NH87SW 44.01 8130 7344 Bayfield Mains Grain store

This nineteenth century courtyard steading was disused on the date of survey. The farm size was some 200 acres and originally grew wheat and barley as a cash crop and oats for animal feed. The domestic accomodation identified within the steading had not been used as such in living memory. This site has been referred to as a "good substantial farmstead with outbuildings attached. Situated about 1 mile NE of Nigg Free Church. The property of John Humphrey Esq." (ONB 1872).
The steading consists of a girnal and workshop, the ground floor end being the crieve's store (item 1 on MS/744/147, sheet 1 of 8). This was possibly the original Meikle Kindace House. There is also a stable with loft, threshing barn on two floors, waterwheel site, lade, implement and cart shed (post-1872), a later engine house for threshing barn machinery and a four bay pen, bull pen and pig-sty with granary above. In addition there is also a byre with stalls, the site of a covered cattle court (pit infilled), a loose box, grain store and barn (18m E of the water wheel), a stackyard and a turnip storage area.
Visited by RCAHMS (GJD) March, June 1990.
Name Book 1872.
See NMRS MS/744/147 for details.

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NH 8120 7348 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH87SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish NIGG

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (9)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.