MHG28996 - Hut circle - Cnoc an Taibhse (MW104, MW001), Strathaird, Skye
A hut circle at Cnoc an Taibhse (Allt an Ruadh), Strathaird, Skye.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Cnoc an Taibhse (Allt an Ruadh), Cille Mhaire Glen, Strathaird, Skye.
A hut circle (104) was recorded by M Wildgoose in 1999 at Cille Mhaire Glen, Strathaird, Skye, during a walkover survey in advance of a proposed forestry Woodland Grant Scheme for the John Muir Trust. <1> NOTE - this site does not appear in the report for the Cille Mhaire Glen walkover - IS-L 05/03/2017.
The site was included by M Wildgoose in a catalogue of hut circles which combined the results of surveys on the Strathaird, Torrin and Sconser Estates. It lies on a shallow north facing grassy slope overlooking the Allt an Ruadh. It is a circular stone and turf bank 1.5m thick and 0.25m high, is facxed on both sides with laid stone walling. The interior measures 7m in diameter, is level and clear of rubble. The wall expands to 2m thick at the east facing entrance forming an extended entrance passage 2m long and 0.8m wide. <2>
The structure was looked for by A Welti and A MacInnes in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This HC could not be located, but has been included in the project database (MW001) pending discovery. <3> <4>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 1999. Cille Mhaire Basin Isle of Skye: An Archaeological Survey of a Relict Landscape. Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). . Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M.. 1999. A survey of Round Houses on the Strathaird, Torrin and Sconser Estates. Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). Digital. Site 104.
- <3> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. MW001.
- <4> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. MW001.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5470 1695 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.