MHG29600 - Ruined Buildings - Gleann Gaorsaic
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- SETTLEMENT? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUILDING (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
There is clear evidence of settlement remains in the form of three rectangular houses of respectable size - about 2.5-3.0m by up to 8m long internally. A blanket of snow prevented the locating of cultivation traces and it can be presumed that the village inhabitants may not have wintered here, and it may have served as a overnight stop for drovers.
See assoc. docs. File for SMR NH01SE0011.
J Aitken : 21/02/01.
This group of three structures was recorded in an NTS pre-afforestation survey of Kintail and West Affric in 1997. The largest building was aligned NNE-SSW and measured c.11m by c.5m over stone walls c.0.8m wide and survived no more than c.0.5m high. It was round-ended. Traces of mortar render survived in places externally. A secondary chamber c3m long is at its E end. About 20m to the SE and built against a large natural knoll was the second drystone building, c.8m by c.4m over walls c.0.7m wide and up to 1m high. Some 30m to the SE of this was the third building, measuring c.8.5m by c.5m. The walls of this building were ill-defined as 3 secondary structures c.1-1.5m in diameter with walls c.0.6m wide and c.1m high had been built out of its robbed walls. In front of this building were the remains of a patch of rig cultivation or feanagan 14m W/E by 10m N/S. The rigs were 2m in width.
The main building was probably a shepherd's house. The mortar render suggests it was occupied to a relatively late date. The patch of rig/feanagan suggests the shepherd was attempting to grow crops, probably potatoes, at this altitude (c400mOD). <1>
Two roofed building are depicted on the 1st edition OS map. On the 2nd edition OS map, the building to the SSE is depicted as unroofed. <2> <3>
NGR adjusted based on 2014 aerial photographs. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Robin Turner.. 04/99. 'Kintail : Archaeological Observations, NTS SMR Report, April 1994.', Field Report., p.1 - 5.. Field Report.. 1 - 5.. 4.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth. J. & Harden, J.. 1997. Kintail and West Affric Archaeological Survey. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 18/06/2004. Paper and Digital. KIN136.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2014. Getmapping aerial photography 2014. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 0231 2277 (41m by 46m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/317593/loch-gaorsaic (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.