MHG2971 - Ardersier Church, Kirkton
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH75NE0025 Graveyard; Watch House
NH75NE 1 7802 5668.
(NH 7801 5668) Church (NR) (Site of) Graveyard (NAT)
OS 25" map, Ross-shire, (1870)
The church at Ardersier was mentioned in 1227 AD. There is no record of it until the Reformation after which references became numerous. It stood on the Carse near the bottom of the sea - terrace where its cemetry may still be seen. It was rebuilt with clay in 1776 but was again ruinous about 1790.
Orig Parch Scot 1855.
The site of the church is at the highest point of the graveyard. There are no extant remains and several graves now occupy the site.
Visited by OS (R D) 10 August 1964.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 23, No. 170.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 593-4.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7802 5668 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14313 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.