MHG29771 - Ruined house, west of Janetstown
The remains of a house and attached enclosure depicted on the 1st edition map c.1872.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD? to 1872 AD (between))
- None recorded
Ruined building inland from the promontory fort, Walls & gables upstanding, but no roof. <1>
See photos, ruined building. Large slabs lying at S end, plus stones laid over small (currently dry) streamlet to S. <2>
A roofed building with an attached enclosure is depicted on the 25 inch 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1872. <3>
This site was visited during a walkover survey in 2011. It measures approximately 13.4m by 7.8m with two rooms and dates from the late 18th to early 20th century. <4>
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 11/2002.
- <2> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist. 08/2003.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-3. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-72). Digital.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J. 06/2011. Shore Park, Latheronwheel, Caithness: Archaeological Survey. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital. F3.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 18940 32152 (19m by 19m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/333230/latheronwheel (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.