MHG29782 - St. Adamnan's Church and Burial Ground, Insh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Early Medieval to 21st Century - 561 AD to 2100 AD)
J Aitken : 10/12/02
'Speyside Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alison Mitchell. The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1975, reprinted 1992. Survey undertaken between 1970-1974.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
NH80NW 3 8358 0533.
(NH 8358 0533) Church (NAT) on Site of St. Ewan's Chapel (NR).
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
The parish church of Insh was dedicated to St Adamnan (d. 704 A.D.), the biographer of St. Columba, according to Joseph Anderson and Hew Scott, although the minister in 1881 did not know of a dedication. The parish was united with Kingussie about 1580 but disjoined, quod sacra, in 1869. The present church was erected in 1792. It possesses a very ancient cast-bronze bell, possibly dating from the time of St. Adamnan and a stone basin is set in one of the windows which was probably the font of the earliest church. the church stands on Tom Eunan, i.e. Adamnan's Mount (Eunan being a diminutive form of the saint's name).
J Anderson 1881; H Scott 1926; G Hay 1957.
Both bell and baptismal font are inside the church.
Visited by OS (W D J) 25 November 1966.
- --- SHG1677 Text/Publication/Article: Bourke, C. 1984. 'The hand-bells of the early Scottish church', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 113 1983, p.464-8. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 464-8. 466-7.
- --- SHG1897 Text/Publication/Volume: Anderson, J. 1881. Scotland in early Christian times: the Rhind lectures in archaeology, 1879. 195-6; illust..
- --- SHG2161 Text/Publication/Volume: Edited by Alison Mitchell. 1992. Speyside Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 2nd.
- --- SHG2307 Text/Publication/Volume: Hay, G. 1957. The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843. 259.
- --- SHG2414 Text/Publication/Volume: Leonella Longmore. 2000. Land of Churches.
- --- SHG2773 Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, H et al (eds.). 1915-61. Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Rev.. Vol. 6, 361-2.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8358 0532 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7668 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.