MHG4426 - St. Adamnan's Church and Burial Ground, Insh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to 21st Century - 561 AD to 2100 AD)
Access Audit 238 - HAW 11/2003
J Aitken : 10/12/02
NH80NW 3 8358 0533.
Church (NAT) on Site of St. Ewan's Chapel (NR).
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
The parish church of Insh was dedicated to St Adamnan (d. 704 A.D.), the biographer of St. Columba, according to Joseph Anderson and Hew Scott, although the minister in 1881 did not know of a dedication. The parish was united with Kingussie about 1580 but disjoined, quod sacra, in 1869. The present church was erected in 1792. It possesses a very ancient cast-bronze bell, possibly dating from the time of St. Adamnan and a stone basin is set in one of the windows which was probably the font of the earliest church. the church stands on Tom Eunan, i.e. Adamnan's Mount (Eunan being a diminutive form of the saint's name).
J Anderson 1881; H Scott 1926; G Hay 1957.
Both bell and baptismal font are inside the church.
Visited by OS (W D J) 25 November 1966.
Anderson, J, 1881, Scotland in early Christian times: the Rhind lectures in archaeology, 1879, 195-6; illust. (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1897.
Scott, H et al (eds.), 1915-61, Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation, Vol. 6, 361-2 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2773.
Hay, G, 1957, The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843, 259 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2307.
Bourke, C, 1984, 'The hand-bells of the early Scottish church', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 113 1983, p.464-8, 466-7 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1677.
Leonella Longmore, 2000, Land of Churches (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2414.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Bourke, C. 1984. 'The hand-bells of the early Scottish church', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 113 1983, p.464-8. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 464-8. 466-7.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Anderson, J. 1881. Scotland in early Christian times: the Rhind lectures in archaeology, 1879. 195-6; illust..
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hay, G. 1957. The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843. 259.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Leonella Longmore. 2000. Land of Churches.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, H et al (eds.). 1915-61. Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Rev.. Vol. 6, 361-2.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8357 0534 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
- FONT (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:7668 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7668 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14896 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.