MHG29804 - WW2 military camp, Tannach
An accommodation camp associated with the nearby radar station.
Type and Period (1)
- MILITARY CAMP (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
Second world war Military camp and installations, centered on ND 322 469. Some large military installations are visible on high ground on the west of the road, and an accommodation camp lies just west of the road at ND 3225 4708. One small building lies to the east of the road, opposite the entrance to a roadway leading up to the installations on the hill, ND 3232 4691.
Report by C Dagg 19/11/00 as part of assessment of route of proposed water main between Stemster and Toftcarl. Report no. 170, in report library.
GR corrected to above to area of buildings beside road. Plan app 04/00056/OUTCA to demolish these and build a house. <1>
This accommodation camp was part of the radar stations at Tannach Mains, near Thrumster. The military camp was visited by RCAHMS during their survey of the Yarrows area. Full details can be found in the Canmore record. <2>
Martin Briscoe has submitted photos of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <3>
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 32252 47106 (71m by 115m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG29804 (Images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/139010 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.