MHG29941 - Old road or track, Blairdhu/Kilearnan to Balvaird/Davids Fort/Logiebride
The line of an old route linking the two former ferry crossings of Kessock and Scuddal/Conon Bridge.
Type and Period (1)
- ROAD (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The line of what appears to be an old road can be traced for most of its route from Blairdhu NH 577 502 near Kilearnan / Redcastle for 6.5 kms in a NW direction to Davids Fort NH 539 540 near Conon House. It exists on the ground as a modern minor road, as a farm track, as two parallel old walls or earthbanks or as an indistinct path. It is marked on the 1st edition OS map dated 1877, but only partially on the present day maps.
Information from M Marshall, 11/03/00. <1><2>
This double embanked feature has been noted as part of the line of the suggested early routeway from Tarradale to Tain. The identified stretch in this area begins at NH 53782 52308 and continues NNW for 1.29 kilometres to NH 53692 53608. <3>
See also record MHG33058 which reports "deep drainage ditches" with "soil upcast to create banks beside". <4>
- <1> Verbal Communication: Member of public. SMR information.
- <2> Text/Report: Marshall, M. New site reports submitted by Meryl Marshall, NOSAS. North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS). . Digital.
- <3> Text/Manuscript: McCullagh, C and MacKenzie, A. 2010. North of Scotland Archaeological Society: Road through Ross Project. Yes. Digital.
- <4> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5567 5205 (3966m by 3887m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.