MHG30240 - Rifle Range - Cromarty
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- FIRING RANGE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- RIFLE BUTTS (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- TARGET (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Iron target holder.
CFA/MORA Coastal Assessment Survey 1998.
The remains of one 'pulley' type target lies within substantial stone built walls on two sides with the garden behind. This was a 1,000 yard range with one of the firing points in the garden of Cromarty Castle. Part of the old metal target is being used as a bridge over the burn and still shows the target circle. This range was used by the Ross-shire Local Rifle Volunteers.
1st ed OS map ROS 1868
2nd ed OS map
Information supplied by Annette Jack, 18.10.01
See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 23/10/01
WWI rifle range. Only part of the target mechanism remains. J A Guy, 20th Century Defences. <1>
A M Fox, Highland Council, 14.11.01.
The Cromarty rifle range lies on the eastern side of the town, only about 900m from the drill hall and below the large army camp SW of the town. It is marked on the 1st and 2nd epoch map and therefore predates the First World War.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project 2013. <2> <3>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from thr RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol. 2, 196.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 288292.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 67, table 48.
- <4> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 853. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7973 6721 (851m by 174m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.