MHG30252 - Dingwall Rifle Range (1)
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FIRING RANGE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
A military firing range comprising range, butts and targets orientated SW-NE. <1>
See Thumbnail photo, showing wall and roof of target area.
Large mound in front of concrete covered wall, behind the wall there is a short corrugated iron roof to protect the markers, part of this has fallen down. Some target bays can still be seen. The firing points appear as low mounds in ther field. On the 2nd ed OS the firing points have changed position.
1st ed OS map ROS 1876
2nd ed OS ROS 1906
Information supplied by Annette Jack, 18.10.01
See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 24.10.01
The military firing range, noted in a 1998 Coastal assessment Survey, lies immediately adjacent to the Dingwall drill hall/Territorial Army centre (MHG59166). It is likely that the range is of the same pre-First World War origin. However, the range shown on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-map (Ross-shire), was interrupted by the construction of the new drill hall and a new range was constructed further east (see MHG30254). The N part of the original firing range continued in use.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project 2013. <2> <3>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Finlayson, W. 09/1998. Coastal Assessment Survey Inner Moray Firth: Volume 2 - Dingwall to Tarbat Ness. Centre for Field Archaeology. 14/12/1998. Paper and Digital. pp. 154.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 288975.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 67, table 48.
- <4> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 908. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5569 5858 (410m by 496m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/288975/dingwall-rifle-range (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.