MHG3026 - BA Ring or Armlet - Connage
An oval, bronze, penannular ring or armlet.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
An oval, bronze, penannular ring or armlet terminating in slightly thickened extremities its greatest diameter measuring 2 1/2" was found in a peat moss at Connage. It was donated to the NMAS in 1862, by Lady Dick Lauder. (Acc. No DO 16)
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1863; NMAS 1892.
The peat moss at Connage has been almost completely reclaimed and is now arable or grass land. No further information could be obtained locally about the find spot or circumstances of the find of this bronze armlet.
Visited by OS (R D) 18 August 1964; Information from W Rose, Wester Delnies, Nairn.
This object was catalogued as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned a Late Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 90.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NMAS. 1892. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 151.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DO 16.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1863. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 4 1860-2, p.52-5,71-6,165-9,185-8,228-31,291-300,376-82,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 52-5,71-6,165-9,185-8,228. 377.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 146.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7700 5299 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- ARMLET (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14421 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.