MHG30263 - Firing range, Golspie
Volunteers' firing range, presumably of Sutherland Highland Rifle Volunteers company based at Golspie.
Type and Period (1)
- FIRING RANGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
This was a 900 yard range used by the Rifle Volunteers. The only remaining features are some of the firing points and the concrete ammunition store.
Concrete structure: NC 86433 01083
NC 86455 01040
NC 86455 01051
NC 86455 01055
NC 86455 01061
NC 86185 00986
1st ed OS map SUTH 105 1904.
Information supplied by Annette Jack, 18.10.01
See assoc. docs. File.
Curious crescent shaped low grassy banks are associated with this site at these grid references.
NC 86417 01034
NC 86328 01031
Information supplied by J Aitken, Clyne Survey, 02/01/02.
Marked as Volunteers' Rifle Range on 1st edition Ordnance Survey mapping, with targets marked at different yardages. Marker's Butts, ana a magazine also marked. <1>
This site is probably the rifle range of the Golspie company of the The Sutherland Highland Rifle Volunteers (SHRV). The SHRV was raised in 1859, and in 1864 it became the 1st (administrative) battalion, Sutherland Rifle Volunteers, based in Golspie; it consisted of 5 companies, based at Golspie, Dornoch, Brora, Rogart and Bonar Bridge. <2><3>
The standing remains consist of a circular concrete pillbox, possibly an ammunition store. Made of concrete and stands c.2.5 m high; just to the SE of this a set of 4 low square mounds 3 m by 3 m and 0.4 m high exist. These mounds are flat topped & covered with vegetation but stone remains beneath slightly visible through the turf.<4>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1878. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Sutherland. Digital.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Historylinks Museum, Dornoch. 10/2009. The First Sutherland Volunteers. Yes.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sneddon, D, Gheorghiou, D, Hansom, J and Shearer, I. 03/2010. East Sutherland Coastal Zone Assessment survey: Data Structure Report. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 12/9/10. Digital. Sites 218, 220.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8627 0104 (973m by 213m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://scharp.co.uk/sites-at-risk/11864/ (Link to Scotland's Coastal Heritage at Risk database)
- http://www.historylinks.org.uk/Suthvolunteers.htm (View more information on The Historylinks Museum website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/349498/baile-na-cloiche (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.