MHG30323 - Rifle Ranges - Fort George
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FIRING RANGE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
Part of Fort George training area. Several rifle ranges with firing points and target areas. Still in use by the Army. Two sections of concrete wall that could be sections of practice Atlantic Wall can be found on the east side of the range. <1>
A M Fox, Highland Council, 14.11.01.
The location and layout of the firing ranges has changed since they were first mapped, in 1870 but they seem to have been in continuous use until the present day. They would certainly have been used during the First World War.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project 2013. <2> <3>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied bu AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol.2, 128, Vol.3, 40-1.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 173654.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 67, table 48.
- <4> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 210-11. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7759 5709 (1774m by 796m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/173654/fort-george-rifle-ranges (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.